Two Unbeaten Teams Battle Saturday
Lenoir-Rhyne and Concord enter the game Saturday with one win after one game in the 2010 season. Only one team will leave Moretz Stadium with a second. The Bears and Mountain Lions are both 1-0, and they kick off at 7 p.m. Saturday in Hickory.
Both teams had big wins in their season-opening games. The Bears defeated Chowan 59-10 on Aug. 28 at home, and the Mountain Lions won their season opener 72-21 on Aug. 26 over Southern Virginia.
Lenoir-Rhyne leads the all-time series 6-2 over Concord, but the Bears lost 52-45 in 2009 in overtime on the road in Virginia. The teams combined for more than 1,100 yards on offense — Concord had 617, L-R had 487. Lenoir-Rhyne ran for 406 yards in the loss.
The game Saturday in Hickory can be heard on the radio on WKVS 103.3 FM based in Lenior. The radio broadcast is also available through L-R's athletic website at www.lrbears.com and www.redzonemedia.com.
• Lenoir-Rhyne looks to start the season 2-0 for the second time in three seasons.
• L-R is seeking its first three game win streak since 2004.
• The Bears won season of their last eight games against non-conference opponents at home.
• L-R's 74 rush attempts Aug. 28 against Chowan tied a school record. The Bears ran the ball 74 times in 1974 against Mars Hill.
• Junior QB Major Herron se a personal record with 101 yards rushing against Chowan, and senior fullbakc Anthony Silver's 101 yards rushing was the second time in his career he ran for more than 100 yards.
• L-R's 59 points were the most scored by the Bears since a 59-21 win Nov. 12, 1994, over Catawba. The win clinched a share of the 1994 South Atlantic Conference title with Carson-Newman.
• Herron's three touchdowns Saturday were the most by a Bear in one game since Setp. 24, 2005, when Barry Tate caught three touchdown passes in a 27-24 overtime win at Newberry.
• L-R is 4-0 all time at home against Concord with wins in 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2008.